This is not originally the intent of this blog, but now I find myself sharing more of my musings here. I'm telling myself, my musings on this blog is related to J and Prime so its okay.
Alright, I was reading "The unschooling handbook" last night and I came across something that really made me stop and think.
"A structured approach such as Saxon's usually produces competence, but seldom any real pleasure or joy in mathematical ideas." *gasp*
I think with J doing Think Math daily that is exactly what is happening. She is competent in math, but she is not finding any pleasure or joy in math. She already voiced her opinion; she doesn't like math. Gosh, and she is only in 1st grade.
Anyway, we had a fairly long discussion about how math is everywhere and how everything is related to math or is really math. This topic really got J and Prime going. They were saying you mean music is math? Your nose is math? The bed is math? You get the idea. And Prime's biggest question, you mean God is math? Why, yes, God created the world and this world is all related to math so I would think God is the God of all math. Then daddy pitched in and threw in few big words, like "resonance frequency" and I did too, like "4th dimension" that everything is math.
At the end of the discussion, I think J and Prime was convinced that math is everywhere and that if you look at it that way, it becomes more fun.
I think one of the problem with math worksheets is it disconnects from real-life and young kids do not see the connection between their life and what they are studying. When I told J that money is math, she frowned because I think she realizes $ is part of every day life especially since we give her $6 for Chinese new year and she has been buying $1.5 happy meals here and there. So she has experienced first hand that she needs to know how $ (math) works to live.
I personally never understood why I needed to learn Calculus, etc. Algebra / Geometry okay. Perhaps if I had become an engineer or architect, etc. But luckily in college, because I took AP classes in high school, no math credits was needed in college and I was free from math mostly other than statistic.
I guess my musing is how am I going to teach J math? I guess I'm leaning toward discontinue using ThinkMath and let her explore math as it relates more to real life. That puts more work on my shoulder, it seems. I'm not sure, wisdom needed.
The unschooling book does say " We make that choice on the assumption that our children will learn basic math facts and computation skills through their everyday activities. This often means that they learn those basic arithmetic operations at later ages than tradionally occurs in schools, but it also means that when they do, they learn more quickly and easily. " hmmm.... okay, this is radical shift way of thinking but it does make sense to me.
6 comments:
John Saxon's math books remain the best math curriculum on the market today to accomplish mastery of the basics of mathematics.
However, that holds true only if you are using the correct editions, and using the textbooks as John intended them to be used.
I have taught using John Saxon's math books from algebra 1/2 through calculus for more than a decade in a rural public high school, and I can asssure you that continually switching math curriculum prior to the sixth grade(Math 76)creates holes in the student's math basics.
Student's fail algebra because they never mastered fractions, percents and decimals. They fail calculus because they never mastered the concepts of algebra.
If you or your readers plan on contunuing to use John Saxon's math books, or if someone is planning on using them in the future, please take a moment and visit my website at www.usingsaxon.com before you purchase any Saxon math books.
Thanks.
Art Reed
Thank you Art Reed. I didn't realize people are reading are my blog. *sheepish grin* Okay, you have given me more to think about and I appreciate you letting me know. :)
I am excited to hear that you are reading more about unschooling and seeking out fun alternatives to get your children excited about learning. I believe that each child learns in his or her own way, and by homeschooling you can focus in on helping your children learn in the way that is best for them, even if it may not be the same for someone else. Everyone is going to have an opinion on what they think is the best solution, but I trust that you will continue praying about it and trying out different methods until you and your children discover what works best for them. Learning should be a fun process and not a strict set of rules to follow! But, that's just my opinion. :)
Also, thank you for all of your prayers for our healing. I haven't forgotten about your e-mail and hope to find time to respond again soon.
Life is a balancing act. In most cases you need to find the right balance for each child. In Math, it's not all about fun but it can't be torture. Kids need some nudging at times and fun other times but at the end of road they should be good at it and they are happy they went through it.
Michael,
I agree with you. IMO finding a balance is key!
I agree what Michael said. Life is not just for fun. So the kids need to grasp the skills to fit what they want to do when they grow up. Like I told my children, "You can't just choose what you like to do, otherwise you will definitely always choose to play, play, play." Also, I taught my kids(especially my son) that he needs to explore interests and fun parts when he's learning/doing something. Now he said he likes to do his shcool homework, even though it usually takes him 3 hours a day.
Post a Comment