Thursday, February 12, 2009

Marva Collins/ piano lesson for J?

Today we watch Marva Collin's movie since D&L enjoyed it tremendously. And I instinctively felt that D&L got great judgment and would not lead me stray. The movie indeed turned out fabulous and truly inspirational. Check out D&L's blog for more info (link in orange above). Basically, Marva Collins achieved outstanding results teaching disadvantaged children and children considered problematic in public school from her own neighborhood in the Chicago area. She opened her own school in the 2nd floor of her own home. Later, she was asked to be Secretary of Education by President Ronald Reagan but respectfully declined and continued to teach. Her school enrolled 200 students and had 800 students on the waiting list. One of her students who was considered retarded went on to college and received honors. The lists of achievement goes on and on.

I'm going to check out M. Collins books as well. Thank you Dandelions and Ladybugs!! J really enjoyed the movie even though she was not obligated to watch but she said she wants to and really like it. Prime also watched bits and pieces. But he was more interested in pretending to be Ninja Turtles. His big thing is to wait until Sunday, which he says he can't wait, since that's when we'll meet his grandma and she had said she will let him pick out his birthday present back from January.

Afterward, this is what J was doing. I already wrote about it earlier but I'll share a little of J's piano. She learned to play the piano all by herself since her daddy and I are clueless when it comes to piano. Though daddy did find her some simple music sheets for her off the net and she took a 6 week beginner's class when she was 5, or maybe 4 at Evola. Anyway, she did not like that class. Every time she plays the piano by herself out of her own initiative, I ask myself if I should send her for private piano lessons. Any thoughts, advice, comment, anyone?


2 comments:

The Free Gift said...

Wow! That's very good from self-learning. If she's interested in playing the piano, we'll really consider signing her up later this year.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dong Dong. :) You're welcome for the suggestions.