Monday, February 16, 2009

It pays to be persistent

Dear J and Prime,

I want to share with you a lesson your mommy learned today. And even though you guys are still young, but the lesson still applies to you.

I'm not sure what happened last month but I did not receive 2 of my credit card statements. So imagine your mommy's surprise when I got hit with late charges and finance charges (extra fees). So I called one credit card company and they said, I would have to pay the extra fees and bring my account up to date before they can reverse the additional fees. So I did and called them back and they without saying anything else, reversed those fees and gave me a credit ($ back).

So when I received the 2nd bill which also had extra fees because I didn't pay (because I didn't receive), I just paid the extra fees and then called them back and asking them to do the same thing for me - to reverse the additional fee (give me my money back).

But this lady said if I wanted to dispute the extra charges, I should have called them earlier and since I already paid, she can't reverse it. So I told her the reason I waited to call was because of my experience with another company. Then she said okay, she will reverse the late fee. And I said, what about the finance charge. First she was giving me a hard time again, saying she is not going to but I told her this is the first time and if she looked at my credit history, she will find I always paid on time before. Finally she said okay, saying she can tell I will keep going if she doesn't and she gave your mommy all the fees back. :)

Anyway, I just want to share this experience with you so that both of you learn that sometimes you have to put up a fight and be determined and persistent. Of course, make sure you fight for what is right and also learn from your mistakes.

I think after these 2 incidents I'm going to keep a closer eye or maybe sign up for on-line statements so that I will not have this problem again.

All my love,
mommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dong Dong, your pictures of your children & the rest of your family are wonderful. Your children are so adorable! Wishing you a happy & productive Monday. :)

The Free Gift said...

Don't be discouraged with rejections. Most of the time they are not rejecting you but your message. It someone says no, try another way. If you have a valid complain, try requesting to discuss the issue with his/her supervisor on up.