Monday, February 2, 2009

Recorder lessons for J?

J has been showing some musical inclinations for a while now. She loves to sing and picks up songs easily. J and Prime know a whole bunch of songs from Enki as well as from cds they have at home. One of the games J invented and plays often with Prime in the car is either she or Prime hum a tune and the other has to guess the title of the song.

She has also been trying to learn how to play the piano by herself and can play a few songs with some chords. She has also taken out her recorder out of its case and try to blow some tune. :) But I have told her she needs to wait until I formally give the recorder to her and before then, she is not allowed to play with it.

Before while she was in school, there was just no time to learn how to play the recorder. Now I feel there's time but I'm still not sure if this is the best time to teach her or maybe I should find someone else to teach her. I don't know how to play recorder and have never even heard of the word before Enki 1st grade. I do have a DVD from Enki which shows me how to play the recorder but still..... I don't know, seems like I should have someone else teach her instead of me. I think prayer is needed here.

Another consideration is that I might send J and Prime to a CC group(classical conversation) for Christian home schooling families and I know the kids will be taught how to play the tin whistle. So if that's the case, I was thinking perhaps recorder could wait.

But since J is pretty keen on the recorder, I introduced J to "Windmill" from Enki 1st grade yesterday. This is the 1st song she will learn how to play on the recorder if I was to teach her because it only has 2 notes. We also worked on the movement of the song for a little bit.

What is interesting is that through J's choir class, she has learned to read music a little bit which Enki considers beneficial. So today, she practiced reading music for fluency for a little bit.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. :)