Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Crystal Queen and musings on Enki 1st grade fairy tales

Today, we read "Crystal Queen" from Enki K nature story. It was a beautifully well written story. I'm not sure if the kids can appreciate all the descriptions but I enjoy reading the descriptions. :)

I have been taking a break with J from the Enki 1st grade fairy tale mainly because she doesn't seem to love them. In talking with Beth Sutton, founder of Enki Education, she said to follow the Enki method but use a book J enjoys reading/listening and to try the 1st grade fairy tale with her every 2 week or even one a month to see how J take it.

I wonder how other 1st graders listening to Enki 1st grade story fare? Are they really absorbed in the story and feel the story talks to them deeply and mirror their development? For J, I don't think they are "nourishing" and "mirroring her development" as they had been intended.

I read her "Bimwili" from Enki K fairytale story and she seemed to like that one better. Though I wouldn't call her reaction total engagement either. The story was actually intended for Prime but J wanted to listen too. "Bimwili" is also much shorter than Enki 1st grade fairy tales. It is actually intended for younger children ready for fairy tales in Kindergarten. So I'm not sure where emotionally J is. I might have to keep trying and just see.

Beth said in our conversation, that she does not feel J is ready for the 2nd grade tales as they are even longer. But J have been more goofy lately; I don't know if that characterizes as "tricker" energy or not. Her favorite game is to play hide-n-seek with daddy and she revels in hiding and not giggling. :) She and Prime has gotten pretty good at it now. Sometimes daddy have some trouble finding them. She also likes to play "I spy" with Prime.

One thing I notice is that J and Prime both love my Chinese movie, not entirely sure why considering they can't understand too much and it's not always funny. Now when they watch that, they are very engaged. Maybe it's just the TV effect.

We saw a little boy the other day watching a cartoon. Man, he was not only 100% engaged, but his whole body, his whole face seems frozen; his eyes hardly even blinks, and his mouth slightly open. Now that's what I call total absorption like he is in another world.

Anyway, I really need to pray for wisdom and discernment.

No comments: