My kids love to eat bubble gum and I got these original Bazooka bubble gum: 3 packs for $1. (12 pieces per pack, so 36 b.g. all together). Anyway, I tell J/Prime if when they want bubble gum, they need to give me 5 cents for one piece.
Anyway, J has just recently understood the word "change" in terms of money. Today, she give me a dime and I gave her back a nickel and she said, I know why you give me a nickel because 5 + 5 is 10. Right!
Then Prime comes over, he also gives me a dime and I ask him, how much "change" should I give back to you? First he says, 4. Then I say how many pennies is a dime? He says 10. How much is 1 piece of bubble gum? 5 pennies, he replies. So how many pennies should I give back to you? He says 5 pennies with a goofy grin. Right! Hopefully he understood and not just randomly guessed the correct answer.
Anyway, we have been having quite a few of these kinds of math conversations recently. I'm of course still praying for wisdom on this matter and just hoping to read more books on this matter. I'm interested to read what Marva Collins says about it. My book is here. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment