Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My thoughts on one year at home and homeschool

I just opened my insurance letter and realized it has been one year since I quit my job and stayed home with the kids. I have to say, I love it!! I feel so blessed that I can stay home with my kids and I enjoy every minute of it. I have always been close with my kids but homeschooling has definitely brought us even closer. :) How can we not, after all, we are together 24/7. And its a good thing that we don't drive each other crazy! Thank you, God!

I still remember how hard it was for me to decide to leave my job as it was a great paying job and I had many loyal clients who wanted me on board for a long time. So I felt guilty leaving my clients but in the end I felt that was what God wanted me to do. My boss was completely taken by surprise when I told him I was quitting. I am thankful for my previous job and for all my ex-clients; after all, I do happily enjoy using my savings on our homeschool and all the expenses that comes from raising kids and etc.

And in this past year I have stayed home... wow, how my life have changed! If I didn't quit my job, I would definitely not be able to homeschool. I have also grew a lot closer to God and been able to surrender my life to Him more than I have ever been able to. Before, I had a very hard time trusting God and not really been able to sense His presence at all. Anyway, I see big changes in myself in this last year. And I'm just so grateful that I'm able to homeschool my kids and that my hubby is also very supportive.

The biggest question I get asked is actually not about the socialization of my kids. There has been a few of those, but mostly I have found people accepting homeschooling and wish they could do it but always adamantly tell me they couldn't possibly do it for one reason or the other.

Anyway, the question I get asked most often is how long I will be homeschooling? Honestly, I don't know. Right now, I hope I can homeschool my kids for as long as they want to be home schooled. But I don't know what God has in store for me and I fervently want to follow His will for our family, for me and for my children. I'm also grateful that I have wonderful support groups, moms who openly shared their wisdom and experience with me and for all the wonderful homeschooling books there are out there. There is just so much for I am thankful and grateful for. But most of all, I thank God for his provision and for his grace.

Even if I don't get to homeschool forever, I feel so good that I am able to experience it for a period of time, however long or short that might be. And hopefully, God wants me to homeschool for a long long time. ;-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful post Dong Dong!

The Free Gift said...

Homeschooling young kids will create tighter bond between the kids and parents. Homeschooling older kids will keep them from getting brainwashed by government re-education camps. In higher grades, public schools are politically motivated and train kids to be prisoners. It's like the movie 1984. That's why Alex Jones (http://www.infowars.com) highly recommends parents to homeschool their kids even if the father has to work two or more jobs.

Anonymous said...

What a great post. You said, "Even if I don't get to homeschool forever, I feel so good that I am able to experience it for a period of time, however long or short that might be. And hopefully, God wants me to homeschool for a long long time." I couldn't agree more, except that now I think I would have a really hard time sending my son back to public school. If that ever has to happen, I hope I can be at peace about it. I have also been finding that the question of how long we're going to homeschool might be the #1 question we get asked! I would love to have him educated at home. I have to agree with Michael. It wasn't until I got OUT of college and was able to think and see things for myself that I realized that much of what is taught seems to be politically motivated...and I didn't know, at the time, that it was anything but the truth. Scary.