Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Uno and discussion with J

Today, while trying to pick up my contacts, I brought Prime UNO cards. This was mentioned in The Well-trained mind to teach kindergarten math. Anyway, it was a huge hit with J and Prime. Not sure what kind of math skills they are picking up, but they sure enjoy playing UNO.

And let me just tell you we have been loving "First Language Lesson for the Well-trained mind". Today, J worked on summarizing and on cutting out filler words like um, uh etc. Her biggest filler word is actually "and". We also had a little discussion about not quitting and being determined after she started to cry because I said, there was too many "and" in her summary. She said she was crying because she felt she "couldn't" do it so we had a little discussion about trying and not be afraid of making mistakes. We also talked about instead "I can't" to think in "How can I" which gives one hope and opens up possibilities.

Anyway, Tuesday is our crazy hectic day so we didn't get to do everything on the list but I think that is alright as that is the beauty of homeschooling: flexibility. And our school doesn't end at 3:15pm. I have also come to see what another mom pointed out: the whole world is our classroom. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

R goes through this too. She is 7 & gets easily frustrated. I have to take her in my arms & sit with her while explaining that she must try & if she doesn't get it we will try together. I also tell R that it's better to try than to give up. Works everytime.

Sometimes R will not get something & that's o.k. eventually she will. I tell R that even if she doesn't get it right now she will later on. It's o.k. because that's how we learn. I tell her that she will look back on that day & be proud of herself that she was determined to keep going forward.

Anonymous said...

We love Uno in my house. Love it! You are a very good mama! I was looking at your photos & your children are precious. They are such happy kids. :) You & your husband have a beautiful family.

dongdong said...

Thanks L&D *blush*

I think you are great mama too!! :)And thank you for sharing. I appreciate it so much.