After our little discussion about what J enjoys reading, we headed to the library to get Junie B. Jones books for her free reading. She finished it in no time and was totally absorbed and happy.
Two people mentioned "My Father's Dragon" by Ruth Stiles so I'm trying to get that book for J. Currently all copies has been checked out at our library so I'm going to wait. We will also try out other books recommended by Enki moms.
I also tried a book recommended by the Classical education model, and read J "Trojan Horse- The World's Greatest Adventure" by David Clement-Davies today and J liked it. It's a very condensed version of a lot of events in one thin book. The first time I read it, I had a hard time following sometimes since there are so many characters in there but the plot is exciting enough. When I read it to J today, it did capture her imagination and she was following along pretty well. It's not something I think she would read herself, but its something she enjoys listening. Anyway, classical education's point is the purpose of these books is to implant "memory pegs" for later and most kids enjoys listening to adventures. So I think this book did achieve those 2 goals.
Anyway, I think where I am at this point is to read her stories from Enki K and just follow the Enki methods suggested by B. Sutton. For casual reading, J can read Junie B Jones if she wants to and today she borrowed 4 JBJ books. It's not what I consider ideal but at least she is excited to read those books and is reading for a good 45-60 minutes by herself and not asking me if her time for reading is up. So I consider that a big improvement. :-)
1 comment:
dongdong,
thanks for dropping by my blog. I have added you to my blogroll. I can't wait to read more of homeschooling adventures!
Post a Comment