Thursday, March 26, 2009

a cool discovery (for us)

For those of you who are familiar with plants, this probably comes as nothing exciting. But for people like my children and I, who have never studied nor cared that much for plants (what is the opposite of having a green thumb?-that would be me. ) until we started reading Ms. Lisa's blog and few other plant/nature related blog, this is an exciting and a cool discovery for us.

Few days ago, we read a book on flowers and learned that there are seeds in the flower's ovary and the various names of a parts of a flower. So we give thanks to the flower and began taking apart a little bit of our daffodils and started to examine it. We looked for the ovary but didn't see a bulge and no seeds so we were kind of disappointed but didn't really investigate further.

Incidentally, I mentioned it to my hubby tonight and he said, I think you need to go deeper. Okay... so we really dug into the flower this time, and look what we found!

seeds in the ovary of our flower. :) J and Prime all came over excitedly and said, where? where? Let me see. :) Later, J was drawing, (something else too, not sure what to call it) and then I just looked at it, and she drew a person, and the person says, "Oh, my god, I'm excited".

There is another picture. Thank you, daffodil! We will always remember it was you who let us discover this cool fact for ourselves.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you saw seeds in the flower?

Joy said...

That's so cool! I'm glad J was able to share that "aha!" moment with you. :)

Tan Family said...

This is wonderful! We are doing a lot of botany this year, and our daffodils are blooming. We'll have to investigate now. Thank you for the inspiration!

Toni said...

very awesome , I love this post and all your pictures, amazing what we learn right laong with the kids isn't it

Erin said...

Interesting. :)

enikő said...

Wow, that's a newness for me! We habe some doffodils in our garden, we're going to investigate, too.

Thanks for your visit to my blog. I'm sorry that I'm not able to write my posts in English too. Anyway sometimes the translations with babelfish works quite well, a fast traslation could give you an approximate idea.
I left you an aswer there: http://enikolori.blogspot.com/2009/03/dellarancia-non-si-butta-via-niente.html

dongdong said...

Thank you, Eniko. I want to make them right now.:) Thank you so much for the link to the recipe. Guess I gotta go find some organic oranges. Thanks again!

Lisa said...

I am sooooo excited for you and your family. I love hearing about others' experiences when learning something new in nature! Kudos for Michael for encouraging you guys to look even closer! I so love your family!!!

BTW, did you get the pendant yet? I know the fawn brooch arrived in VA yesterday, was curious about yours.