Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Woolly Day (sheep shearing)

Today, it was light snow and cold. Had I known the weather, we might not have made the drive. But it turned out to be a fabulous woolly day, despite the cold.


Shearing the wool. The sheep was very kind and pretty much just laid still. The lady shearing says it is like shaving someone's head. A freshly shaved sheep. Look at all the wool. (They also trim the sheep, but this is shearing. )


Here are some sheeps and a ram. Prime poses with a goat. See his mustache? That's why the Chinese always say "grandfather goat". :)


These are the Alpacas. I'm so in love with Alpaca yarns. They are super soft. Here the lady showed us how to spin a 2ply yarn. All the kids; it was not easy to get them all together for 1 picture. They just wanted to run around and be kids. :) We also saw chickens and rabbits.

Cute picture of Prime and H. The horse ride was #1 favorite thing to do and the popcorn was probably the #1 favorite food for all the kids. The adults learned a lot of interesting facts on the horse ride. One thing that amazed me was one cow on this farm can produce 100 gallons of milk / day. Yes, she is in the Guinness world of record, I was told. Testing are done once a month to the milk that each cow produces to see if any of the cow are missing any nutrients. This is to ensure the milk the cows produce are good for consumption. Someone on the ride said, that's better than we take care of ourselves. Indeed!

This a 2 week old cow. She look more like a fawn than a baby cow. Here is an honest Izzy. Yep, the cow do smell. The kids covered up their nose too at the sheep shearing demo as they were in front row. Yet despite the smell, they stayed for a long time there and was hanging on to every word the lady said - very visual. Fun tractor for Prime.

Some light-heart fun. This a sheep made from pipe cleaners and wool roving. I bought it from one of the vendors. He showed me a little bit of how to make it. It seemed to be a lot of work and J wasn't interested in making one herself. So we will attempt this project at a later date. This is a craft we made at the farm. I have no place to hang it so I took this picture of the kids. :)

And that is our woolly day at the farm on a spring day. (it was 37, later it climbed to high 40's) Here is wishing for warmer spring days ahead. :))

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I love wool festivals. We have one close by here in the fall, we go every year. What a great learning experience.

Anonymous said...

It sounds so fun. I like the pictures.

Anonymous said...

The kids like the horse wagon ride the best because they were looking, talking, and laughing about the horses' butts--the normal kids stuff. It was chilly but it was a fun day with a refreshing learning experience on the farm.

Erin said...

I love the pic of the kids with their animal bodies. :)

Joy said...

We went to a sheep shearing last month. Loads of fun! I'm glad your kids enjoyed it.

Harvest Moon Farm said...

Looks like fun! We're shearing our sheep tomorrow, with the help of a bunch of homeschooled kids.

Tammy said...

We got to see a sheep being sheared last spring. I couldn't believe how fast it was, and that it came off all in one piece!