Thursday, March 12, 2009

Never Eat Sour Watermellon

Today, we read the American Indian story called, "Coyote's rain song" from Enki education again (This a K folk story). Again, J read to Prime. This was a story about a silly coyote who wanted to feast on prairie dogs. The coyote asked the rain clouds to rain north, east, south, west around the prairie dog town but never on the prairie dog town. In the end he got soaked by the rain himself and never ate the prairie dogs as they stayed dry in their home and laughed at the coyote.

We tried to act the story out by having an egg filled with candy (for prairie town with prairie dog; that's what I could grab fast to illustrate the point) and poured water through a sieve around the egg in a flat plate in all 4 directions but never on the egg. The kids saw for themselves the egg and especially the candy inside the egg never got wet. They also wanted to pour water through a sieve and took turns doing that. Then the kids learned the directions in their body. Later, I give them the direction (i.e North) and they pointed. They were a little confused in the beginning, one of them always had trouble, but after 2 minutes of practice, they were pros.


Here, J and Prime learning about the 4 directions (Never Eat Sour Watermellon) in their body.

We then moved on to paper and I mixed up the order for them, giving them the directions at different part of the plus sign. J caught on fast and after few minuets, Prime also got it. I think I will test them tomorrow and after a while to see if they still remember or not. :)

Sorry for the not so great picture, but I think you get the idea. We also put J and W. W is Prime's.

I also wanted to show the mexican primrose I got yesterday at a nursery. Where I live the primrose won't be available until early April. These are suppose to be pink primrose and should bloom in mid-May; that is if the kids and I don't kill it first. J said the dirt is so soft. We read a fabulous book on dirt and hope to play more with dirt. Perhaps we will develop a green thumb eventually.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What a great and fun way to extend learning from a story! I love this. Love the primrose, never have seen one before.