Sunday, March 8, 2009

Super Sunday

The kids and daddy are all under the weather, and since it was my turn to volunteer at church, I went. It was really too bad the kids missed this morning's Sunday school as I found out today was "Super Sunday" at church for the older kids (K and up). The classes were combined for today.

They sang children's worship songs, and the kids were having a great time, jumping up and down for the "la-la-la-la" part of one song. The older boys were especially close, and put arms around each others shoulder and just having a wonderful time. They sang the loudest as they can read the words and knew the song better than the younger children. On another song, where the lyrics said to shake the hand of the person's next to you, the boys crisscrossed their arms and made a line. The girls were more sporadic but none of the girls shook hands with the boys and vice versa.

There was also a "do-do" bird (a puppet) presented by one of our talented church members. He was a "ventriloquist" as I later found out and has been one for many years. At first, I couldn't figure out how the bird "talks" but his lips were not moving at all. The kids were enthralled and loved the do-do bird. I laughed hard during that one too. :)

Then the assistant pastor of our church told the story about Gideon. He was a really good story teller. The funniest part was he came in looking sad and broke out in melodramatic sob. The kids were all bewildered and suddenly all quiet. Finally one boy (6 y.o) stood up and made himself available for hugging (at the push of another older boy behind him) and later willingly did it again but he never actually hugged the pastor. Later, another girl (5 y.o), every time the pastor was being sad, she would offer her hugs. :) It was sweet.

They also had drums, electric piano, trumpets, and lots of other props to help illustrate a point. That made it very memorable. For the memory verse, the children held out balloons with 1 or 2 words on it. As the verses were read, the teacher would pop one of the balloon and the children were surprised and liked that. I especially like the song, "Abraham" as the song asks the children to raise left arm, right arm, left leg, right leg and the kids had fun with that too. Toward the end, the pastor played "if you are happy and you know it" song, he said to say, "we are" and all the kids enthusiastically said, WE ARE! in a really loud and happy voice.

I think I might have to use some of the ideas I saw with J and Prime. All the kids were well behaved and sat through 1 1/2 hours of story and songs. Not an easy feat especially for some of the 5 and 6 y.o and some of them are special needs. There were about 30 kids in the class.

Oh, J and Prime sure missed a fun time at Sunday school today. But I think they had a good time with daddy at home too.

P.S.
Erin @ The olive community- There was a song the children sang called, "Trading my sorrow" and that made me think of you. :) Here is praying you would continue to be strong, and that Jesus would ease and heal you of your pain.

2 comments:

kristin said...

sounds like a full morning! i love doiing puppet shows for the kids at my preschool...there truly is something SO magical about it. :)

Erin said...

Thank you for thinking of me. :)