Monday, March 23, 2009

Public TV and day 1 of a science experiment

Today we went with our homeschooling group to visit the Public TV studio. Unfortunately, they are in the process of relocating and a lot of their studio stuff hasn't really moved. It was a very informative trip, but for the kids, listening to an adult talk for 1 hour was not their idea of learning. Luckily, I brought juice boxes and snacks and at least they were quiet though I can tell they were very bored. And when it came time for pictures, neither the kids wanted to take any pictures other than in front of the TVs where cartoons were on. I did notice, however, kids as young as 8 did much better. They handed out coloring stuff and separated the kids by age so that is how I can tell. Kids younger than 8, especially kids around 5 or 6 like mine are, were very restless. Luckily, all the kids were quiet.

We don't really watch TV, not much anyways. So when our tour guide was mentioning TV shows and even cartoons, most people in the group was like, what is that or who is that??? :) That might be a homeschooling thing, I thought. We usually just watch videos. Our favorite is the Eye Witness Series.



Moving on to our first simple science experiment. We saw this on a video we watched. I thought the effect was going to be immediate. Silly me. When nothing was happening, I look this up on the net and found out the result won't be visible for many hours or better if let it sit overnight. It also helps if you use celery with leaves. So tomorrow, I will share the result for those who are wondering. I'm excited to see if our little experiment will work.


Prime adding red food coloring to water. J is doing the mixing. Is it doing anything yet?
Here is what it looks like today at about 5pm. We will see if we notice anything different later in the night and tomorrow morning. Stay tuned....

6 comments:

Lisa said...

This is really neat with white carnations too.

Joy said...

I'm sorry their trip to the tv station wasn't more interesting. Maybe another time (or another station) will be better. Keep us posted on how the celery's doing. :)

dawn klinge said...

That's impressive that the kids were still nice and quiet, even though they were bored. What great kids!

Erin said...

I agree.. that's awesome they were so good and quiet.

Excited to see what's going to happen with your experiment!

Toni said...

we did this with carnations and it took a couple of days for the color to get vivid enough to see, yes celery with leaves will show the change more clearly,but without you will see how the color moves up the stalk to give the plant a drink

Tammy said...

Oh this sounds so familiar to the time we went on a fieldtrip to a tv station in our town. None of us reallly watched too much tv, and most of the programs they talked about were unknown to us. It was kind of cool to see where they do the news, though, and the green screen...

It's a tough field trip for little ones, I so agree!