Thursday, April 30, 2009

Tid bits from today

J went to her piano class and declares that as her favorite class. She is on her own with the practicing and I have secretly been surprised that she is practicing consistently on her own. Her teacher says she is "soaking it up". Too bad she only has 2 more classes before her teacher will be out of town for the summer. I'm hoping we can catch her sometimes in the summer for a few classes.

J also learned how to purl today. My yarn got tangled up but hopefully we'll be able to do more tomorrow. I also took a knitting class tonight so I might be able to show J a few things I learned at class tomorrow too. I took the class more for her than for me. But I enjoy knitting too, though what I learned tonight was a little tough and takes a lot of concentration. After this class, I'm hoping to take a class that teaches me to knit baby booties and baby sweater. The samples were just darling.

Treat for myself also came in today... "Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day". Hopefully I will find some time to read it soon and make some yummy bread.

"Yoga Pretzels- 50 fun yoga activities for kids & grownups" is a treat for both the kids and me also came in today. I seriously need to get some exercise to have more energy. I think I hold in too much tension and need to learn to relax. Is that weird?

Prime made improvements on writing; technically it was more line drawing (diagonals, from one corner to the middle of another line). It was challenging for him at first which made me think perhaps it was too hard for him but then after a little while, he made great strides and was happy he can do it.

9 comments:

Molly Betsy @ Star Cottage said...

That is so exciting that J is really loving her piano lessons and taking the initiative to practice without being nagged. What a great gift. I wish I was musically inclined. I am however aweful can't sing and have horible rythm. I have taken guitar lessons, piano and flute and itotally stunk @ it all. But I love music.

Anonymous said...

i used to sit at the piano and make up songs when i was little, but never took lessons...how fun!

dawn klinge said...

That's wonderful about how well the piano lessons are going, and the knitting. I thought that learning to purl was a little hard at first.
Both the yoga pretzel cards and the Artisan Bread book, are things I've been wanting to order on Amazon.

Toni said...

wonderful on piano going so well, I am sure she can practice over the summer and maybe even teach herself a few things.

Artisian Bread in 5 Minutes soudns like a keeper let me know how that goes, i have been wanting to bake bread but the thought of door stops keeps haunting me.

Lisa said...

As a preschool teacher last year I remember hearing that boys' fine motor skills come later than girls and yes, I saw that as well. Their drawings were very different too, they preferred black and white pencil drawings whereas the girls preferred markers and colorful crayon drawings. Then a study I read a while back talked about how teachers tend to "correct" boys for this and blamed their immature fine motor skills, where maybe the boys are really just seeing writing and art differently...maybe it's not maturity at all. I just thought it was a very interesting way to look at this.

dongdong said...

That is a great point, Lisa. Though I am not sure if that is the case with Prime. Prime is way behind J in terms of fine motor skills starting when he was a baby because it was that noticeable. Anything that uses his finger/hand, it's a challenge for him like unwrapping presents etc. But I think he is still in the normal range.

I use to fret a lot more about this and have come a long way. But it's hard because J never had any of those issues. I wish you lived closer so you can observe him and tell me more.

Lisa said...

Believe it or not, Fauna still struggles with her handwriting. She was crying in frustration today over it (cursive). Now Araina, very different story....she writes perfectly without a single struggle.

Have you seen Handwriting Without Tears? Their method worked really well with Fauna. I think we are going back to it for cursive, Fauna was doing so well I didn't think she needed a workbook anymore, but then cursive came along. So many tears today.....

I would look into Handwriting Without Tears. http://www.hwtears.com/

dongdong said...

yeah, I believe it. A 5 year old who can sew got talent and patience. I cannot imagine asking Prime to do such thing. J might not sure.

I heard that before. I wish I can see it. I'll check it out the link you provided. Thanks, Lisa! I'm going to Fl. for homeschool convention and perhaps they might have it there.

Michael said...

One of the greatest reward is to overcome challenges. In my experience, there's a lot of joy when I overcome the things that I work the hardest--like some subjects in college, work, and etc.

I think many times children are more capable than adults think. Most of the time children don't understand the problem they are asked for solve. The problem is their misunderstand of the definition of words. For example, Prime's understanding of middle is just between or inside of, and not at the 1/2.