Sunday, April 12, 2009

Princess cake from Sweden

Today (Sunday), most everything was closed... most of the stores... except IKEA! Yeah, for IKEA.

Anyway, we went to IKEA for their cinnamon bun but came away with that and much more. One special thing we got was "Princess cake". I thought it was a fitting title as we are to be brides to Jesus the King someday and we are in essence, his "princesses". :)

Officially, the cake is called "Prinsesstårta". Right on the cake box, it says, " For decades, this has been the most popular cake in Sweden. It consists of two sponge bases with a filling of cream and raspberry fruit filling. It is then decorated with marzipan and decorated." It seems there is mystery as why this cake is normally green. Many people try to figure that out but not very successful.



So after dinner, we had our princess cake and it was delicious. Later, I decided to do a little research and found a little story.

A commenter share the story behind Prinsesstårta on Chowhound: "The story goes that princess cake (prinsesstårta) was created by cookbook writer Jenny Åkerström for three princesses (Margaretha, Martha, Astrid) who studied at her Stockholm cooking school. Åkerström wrote Prinsessornas Kokbok (The Princesses Cookbook), popular in 1930's Sweden........" (to see complete comment, go to Chowhound)

For those of you who don't live near IKEA or would like to make it yourself, I found recipes on line at YumSugar. (For the princess in all of us!) You can find another recipe on ivillage and also at Tartelette (beautiful pictures) . Don't you love the internet? Information at your fingertips. :)

Here are few pictures of our little celebration. We took turns giving thanks to Jesus our God who died for our sins and rose (resurrected) from the dead 3 days later. We even lighted a little candle and Prime loved to blow out the candle.

J cuts the cake. Prime is so excited that he gets it on his shirt. He is happy to lick it clean (shirt and plate). LOL.

5 comments:

Joy said...

It looks like your kids enjoyed their princess cake. :)

Erin said...

What a fun and unique celebration. :)

I wish there was an Ikea closer to us, I love looking through their catalogs and online.

Anet said...

That is a really great cake with mystery color and a story to go along with it. Very cool!
I love to get the cinnamon buns and the loganberry juice at Ikea:)

dawn klinge said...

Oh yum! I'll have to pick one of those up next time I'm at Ikea. I love their food. :)

Lisa said...

Fascinating, I have never heard of such a thing.