Monday, April 20, 2009

getting braver and observing

J and Prime caught a spider (? it sure looks likes one to me) down in our basement over the weekend. Technically, Prime caught it and put it in the observing container with magnifying glass at top to observe. J had to come up stairs for something but said, few times, they almost got it.

They even put leaves and sand in the container for the spider. So far, we haven't seen any webs or we don't have the structure needed for a web? Anyway, the kids are so proud of their little 'catch' ( I call it) and have showed it to all of our guests. J even observed the spider likes darkness and tells me excitedly, Mr. T says," Yep, I see it! And it's moving." I also have to add, not everyone has been excited as Mrs. T says, "oh, good, it is in a container." :)


Anyone know what kind of spider this is? I assume this is the safe kind as my kids are happily playing.

They have also been observing the Mexican Primrose closely with a magnifying lens. The magnifying lens actually have to 2 sides. One is to magnify and the other is to shrink it down to size which I thought was neat. J's excited that there are little flower bud, but for some reason, they are drooping while the leaves looks perky. Any one know why?

4 comments:

Michael said...

I was very surprised that Prime caught the spider and put it in the container without hurting the spider. I was working out down in the basement and they followed me to the basement. They were busy chatting for a while. I went upstairs for a few minutes. I could hear Prime and J had a big commotion. Then they came upstairs proudly showing their catch. LOL

Tammy said...

J and Prime, you are both too brave for me. Spiders scare the socks off me. :)

Erin said...

You have brave children.. mine freak out if they even see a tiny one.

Toni said...

it looks like a wolf spider, they get pretty big and do web, but need a place to do it. We get a lot of those on our porch all summer long, they take good care of the mosquitos, we have had them inside too and they keep the ants away.

Good for them for not beign afraid to catch it and not hurting it.We are big bug/spider people here. I like spiders, they are very cool to watch. Have they been able to see all his eyes on top of his head, thats very neat.