Here is a partial listing of our reading books for the week. One particular book that especially touched me was "The Happy Hedgehog" by Marcus Pfister.
In a world that place a lot of emphasis on success and on "doing" (my grandmother have a really hard time doing nothing and and same with the children's paternal grandfather -he frowns on it when he sees people doing nothing) and on achievement (this is so emphasized when I was growing up in China as a young child that its still deeply ingrained in me that often I will fall into this trap), this book is so refreshing. I think I will buy it and keep me grounded when I am tempted to "push" my children or feel like I just haven't done enough or well enough. It's a constant struggle and that balance seem to be illusive for me. I forgot who recommended this book but thank you, what a wonderful, wonderful book.
J's book discussion of the month is "Beans on the Roof" by Besty Byars. This one J says is just okay. I also got her "The frog princess" by E.D. Baker. This was a recommendation from a 7 y.o. so I hope J likes it as well.
She also really enjoyed reading,
1. "Children just like me- a unique celebration of children around the world" by Barnabas & Anabel Kindersley
2. "A Genuine and Moste Authentic Guide: Princess: A Glittering Guide for Young Ladies " by M. Sparklington and Stella Gurney
Prime enjoyed,
1. The owl who was afraid of the dark by Jill Tomlinson
2. The tale of Jemima Puddle-duck (a pop-up book) by Beatrix Potter
We also have,
1. My first pocket guide - Backyard wilderness from National Geographic
2. Animals Raising Offspring by Wendy Perkins
3. In my garden (a children's gardening book) by Helen & Kelly Oechsli
Mostly, they have enjoyed watching "Avatar- The last air bender" this week and acting out scenes from the video. Daddy and I enjoyed watching as well.
4 comments:
Jemimma Puddle Duck is a favorite of mine:-) All of The Beatrixe Potter books are so lovely.
I struggle with doing nothing too, I feel guilty as soon as I sit for a moment theres always much to do. But sometimes the quiet is needed to get much done wihtout losing ones mind.
yes the girls are home Madeline has a skinned nose from the pool in the hotel, and Grace hurt her foot on a playground in Central Park, but they had a wonderful time, it was an adventrue, they are already planning the next trip to NYC
We love all the Beatrix Potter books as well. Miss Potter is a great movie too. Elizabeth watched it over spring break and absolutely adored it.
I love Marcus Pfister books.
The Happy Hedgehog is a great book!
Looks to me like you are covering a lot of life science with your little ones....I think you are doing a lot more science than you think! ;) I will have to check out Avatar, I don't even know what that is.
I love it when we, as adults, are reminded of important lessons that might get away from us from time to time in good children's literature.
Post a Comment