When time is short, the kids will have cereal with milk and a glass of juice or toasted bread with raw honey.
If daddy is making breakfast, then usually there will be eggs (sunny side up or scrambled) with bacon and sausage. My kids love sausage and eggs.
When I decide to eat healthy, then it will usually be fresh made smoothies or organic "green lemonade"-(organic green veggies/Fugi apple/lemon), with a piece of toast (I have to have some carb, otherwise my stomach will not feel right) and for the kids, an omelet with a lot of veggies. Or in the summer, our breakfast will pretty much be all fruit. Whereas in the winter, it will be more likely to be omelet or something hot.
If there are buns in the freezer and we haven't had them for a while and the kids are asking for them, then I steam Chinese buns. Today happens to be this kind of a day. There are many different kinds as you can see by the picture below. One of our favorite is actually not shown and that is "cha-shao" which is pork filling. Prime's favorite is the lotus seed paste buns and that is made from lotus seed, brown sugar, water, and oil.
Chocolate swirl, lotus seed paste (that's the one that got pink coloring on it), and the red bean bun (yum!) with milk for the kids and for me, coffee with a dash of milk just so it's easier on my stomach. Today for breakfast, we are also having some cantaloupe that daddy cut up last night.Now if my parents or mother in-laws are ever over, their breakfast will be more of traditional Chinese breakfast, which would be porridge/ salted egg/lean pork congee, shredded dry pork (the kids love this too), pickled cucumber, and other savories like sweet tofu skins, spicy bamboo shoots, cured radishes (I love radishes prepared this way) etc.
dried shredded pork, pickled cucumber (super crunchy), and sweet tofu skin.My mother in law actually likes to makes from scratch fried dumplings and buns for the kids the night before and fry them in the morning. Sometimes she will make extra and we'll get to freeze those. Now I normally get the buns from Chinese grocery stores unless I'm really inclined. I am more likely to make "tang-tuan" from scratch using sticky rice and red beans or black sesame. That's something my mom use to do so I have more first hand knowledge. But I do prefer store bought, truth be told. We actually normally have those for dessert whereas my mom gives them to me for breakfast. Either way, they are hot and yummy. :)
For other "corner view2- breakfast", check out Ian's blog. He keeps track of folks who are participating or to Jane's blog. Jane was the lady who came up with corner view idea. She is first on Ian's list of participants, I believe.
18 comments:
thanks for sharing!
have a lovely day!
Wow...what a breakfast!! Again, I'm learing a lot thanks to this Corner Views. Thanks for sharing!!
mmmm, chinese buns for breakfast ! Love that idea !!
Yummy. :) Because of how I grew up, I wouldn't think to eat many of the things you listed for breakfast, but I'm trying to raise my children a bit differently, so they will learn to think "out of the box".
We try to mix it up in our house too, but lately have gotten a bit lazy and have been eating a lot of Kashi cereal. Although..
My dad just brought us 3 dozen eggs from an Amish farm he visits, so I think it might be french omelettes for awhile now!
We unfortunately eat alot of cereal too, in order to get out of the house by 7 am on school mornings. I love seeing other people's eating habits though.
all of your possibilities seem so great and different to me!!
great post!!
I enjoy posts like this...real glimpses into others' lives.
i think this is the most interesting breakfast i have met so far on my tour around the world. i'd love to try breakfast your way.
So interesting. I think your breakfast looks like art! Thanks for sharing!
Hey, loved the food ideas! I'd love to try some of the foods. I should find out from you where I can get them. How are you and the kids doing?
that's looks good, guess very sweet
Thanks for all your nice comments.
actually, Chinese buns are not very sweet. In general, Chinese cake are not very sweet either.
Not sure if this is great comparison, but kind of like European chocolates compared to Hershey's chocolates (the sweetness, I mean)
you sure do put on a spread. I love the breakfast you plan for your kids.
HI, Joyce
Yeah, my kids love to eat. J, esp. is always hungry. This morning Prime ate like 3 lotus seed paste and 1 sweet bean. :)J ate 1 chocolate swirl and 2 lotus seed and some shredded pork. :)
Pork , pickled cucumbers, and tofu skins would not be what I know personally as "typical" breakfast foods... that's why I enjoy this "world trip" experience so much. It is such a drastic contrast to the heavily sugared breads and pastries that I have seen on other posts. Thanks for sharing.
Wonderful post - how great to have so many different choices.
I love that!!
Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog.
Great post! Thanks for sharing! Hugs- Jane
Wow!! I had no idea! I'll take one of each!
Post a Comment