Tuesday, April 21, 2009

math and ice cream

Today, while doing our math, we play this little game and the kids were really excited about it. They are loving math time.

J has previously made a whole bunch of origami people along with Prime so for the game I used those, but you can use anything. The key is to have them close their eyes while I put out the the origami people. And then I say, open your eyes. Then after like 2-3 seconds, I say, "now!" and they put up their fingers to show me how many people they see.

Prime was always counting so when the # gets higher, it was challenge as I covered up the origami and he haven't finished counting. But he got better as the game went on. Even if I kept the # same but made different patterns, he would know fast it was the same #. :)

J for the most part, looked and perhaps counted silently, but she was able to tell me correctly how many people there are. But in the beginning, I think she was also counting but later, she counted by 2's.

I used the pink origami person whenever it is an odd # and J caught on that.



We also worked on # ladder. 0-9 would be first row, 10-19 would be 2nd row, going up. This was a little challenge for both kids as I give them only some #s on the bottom row and each subsequent row, I only gave them one # on the row.

For Prime, I asked him to fill the # straight up, like 10, 20, 30, etc or 6, 26, 36, etc.

For J, I asked her to do it diagonally, like 51, 42, 33, 24, 15, 6 and asked her to start at the top, getting 51 because it is next to 50 and filling the blank # I circled. She was really trying to count to come up with the #s but later, I asked her if she sees a trick, she started to see the pattern.

On a totally separate note... since we have been eating pretty healthy, raw veggies and fruits and nuts, I said they can have some ice cream. But they scoop themselves. This also proved to be a good challenge for both of them as well as squeezing the organic chocolate syrup. :)


Scooping, licking, squeezing, mixing, eating. J says after the vigorous mixing, it was like a smoothie.

J also sewed today but she wanted to blog about that.

4 comments:

Toni said...

anyday with ice cream is a good day in my book. we have been eating healthy too- with the easter candy around its hard so I have put it all in the freezer- out of sight out of mind-,and hey ice cream is diary so a little bit isn;t bad at all.

outdoor.mom said...

WOW! what a mom and a half! organic chocolate, math manipulatives, raw veggies?? you put us all to shame!!

Joy said...

What a fun way to experience math! Great job, mama! :)

dawn klinge said...

This is such a great way to make math fun! And a great way to use the origami creations. I never know what to do with those once my daughter makes them.