Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Meeting new friends

J and Prime met their new friends today, H and W. H and W lead us through the woods on a walk we will not soon forget. :)

The most memorable moments... I was not able to capture on camera as that was mine as well. Can you guess what it is? I'll tell you at the end of the post if you haven't already guessed.


At the beginning....W is starting to break into a run; ( J and Prime are in the green rain boots); At the fairy place; The cat followed us. She liked me.

Testing out the mud and the creek; Good balance, cat!

Touching some "fairy dust"; W showed us what to do- she was happy to throw the up in the air, again and again.



That's Skunk Cabbage , ( the link is to nature institute), I was told, and I thought is was a flower or some other plant as some parts are purple. The bigger the leaves, the stinkier it is. Yes, we all smelled it. I was told the chickens likes them. There are many unusual things about skunk cabbage. It radiates heat, one of first plants to come up in spring, and when it dies, it does not be come hard, instead it dissolves.

Going on the path and finding another creek. It was all flooded and we all got stuck in the mud. All the kids fell at some point and had muddy hands and mud face. I was too busy getting my boots out of the mud and watching out I don't fall so I had to put my camera away. :)

9 comments:

Joy said...

It looks like you had a good time. I love the green boots. :)

Tammy said...

Mud & new friends, sounds like a good combination to me. :)

Toni said...

aounds awesome. I did not know all that about skunk cabbage, I can smell it in the woods and fields by us, never smelled it up close before canonly imagine:-)

Molly Betsy @ Star Cottage said...

love the colorful rain gear! What a fun day

Joyce said...

Sounds like a great day to explore mud and all. I came over from Spain Daily to say HI!

Lisa said...

What fun. I bet the little ones loved the mud, whenever Fauna sees mud she is the first one in it! Araina stays pretty clear of it. The skunk cabbage is really cool, I'm envious, I've never seen it in the wild. We must take a woodland hike when everyone is better.

dawn klinge said...

Looks like fun! I never thought to smell skunk cabbage before...going to have to try that now. ;p

Erin said...

I'm happy they had a good time tromping around in the mud with new friends! :) We need to get some new rain boots..

Lee said...

I'm from Miami. Hi!
This makes me wish I was home schooled like this.