Thursday, April 2, 2009

GOOP-DO

I recently subscribed to Gweneth Paltraw's GOOP newsletter . It comes once a month I believe and this is the first one I have received. I thought it was quite good and have gotten some useful info. It is also good to be reminded again sometimes as some effects (good/bad) are not immediate and I tend to go back to my old habits. Share an excerpt from her GOOP newsletter,

"Top 10 Easy and Affordable Steps to Creating a Healthier and Nontoxic Life
By Christopher Gavigan

...Parents are beginning to understand that protection from harmful chemicals in everyday products is equally important...

And remember, no one can do everything but you can do something. Your children, your family and your planet will all thank you.

1. Eat intelligently. ... Prioritize wisely. Pediatrician Dr. Alan Greene recommends purchasing varieties of these organic foods in order to most effectively reduce chemical exposures: milk, potatoes, peanut butter, baby foods, ketchup, apples, beef, soy and corn.

2. Drink plenty of pure water. ...Invest in a water filter (a simple pitcher option is fine) and a reusable stainless steel water bottle. Over time you’ll really see a big savings, plus you’ll be keeping countless plastic bottles out of landfills and oceans.

3. Embrace natural beauty. ...You will reduce your family’s chemical exposure by opting for products made with natural and organic ingredients, like those from Care (Stella McCartney), California Baby, Perfect Organics, Aveda or Dr. Hauschka. Or you can even make your own! For a rich body moisturizer, combine ½ cup coconut oil with a ¼ cup cocoa butter and a few drops of your favorite essential oil. ...

4. Detox your nest. ...Safely opt for effective, nontoxic cleaning products for laundry, surface, dish and bath – many are no more expensive than their conventional counterparts. I’m a fan of 7th Generation. Or go old school and clean the way our grandparents did with common kitchen ingredients...

5. Breathe clean air. ...In addition to using nontoxic cleaning products, just opening your windows for a few minutes every day to let in some fresh air will do wonders. Vacuum regularly with a HEPA filtered vacuum. Growing houseplants also helps filter and detoxify your air while bringing a bit of the outdoors in....

6. Take playtime back to the basics. .... Stick to toys made from natural materials like solid wood and organic textiles, and opt for nontoxic art supplies and recycled paper. Use items you already own as playthings, like cookware drums or sock puppets...

7. Ban bugs and whack weeds using common sense instead of chemicals. ...Distilled white vinegar will eliminate any weed. Be sure to wipe your feet on a doormat, or better yet, remove your shoes at the door to prevent tracking in dirt, dust, grime and other contaminants like lead or pesticides (and clean less!).

8. Go on a diet. I don’t mean cutting calories, but rather a diet from stuff. Reduce consumption....

9. Reuse, reclaim, repurpose, recreate, rethink. In the same vein as above, consider buying the things you need from secondhand stores, designer consignment shops, Craigslist, Etsy and eBay. You can host your own “swap your swag” night with your friends, or look for items on FreeCycle or similar swapping services.

10. Spread the word. Now that you have some information, inspire and empower others in your tribe...

For a complete parenting and lifestyle guide, get the new paperback on Amazon today: Healthy Child Healthy World: Creating a Cleaner, Greener, Safer Home

Christopher Gavigan is the author of Healthy Child Healthy World and CEO / Executive Director of the nonprofit of the same name: www.healthychild.org.

HCHW_book

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Wow...very good advice all around. I didn't even know she had a newsletter, lol!

Toni said...

great advice, mostof it is common sense stuff we shold do anyways, its nice to be reminded soemtimes too.

The strawbery tea is a Lipton brand, Celelstel teas has a berry one too. these are good with just a touch of honey in them.

dongdong said...

Thanks, Toni. I bet my kids will like that. They are not big tea drinkers.

dawn klinge said...

Those are all great tips. Thanks for sharing this.

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing this. I have heard a little bit about her newsletter, but haven't really explored it. I will now.