Thursday, January 15, 2009

W boy 's progress on reading

W officially read his first book by himself. Considering how much he loves to watch and read Eloise, it is no surprise the first book he can read is "Eloise at the wedding" story by Margaret McNamara. This is a level 1 reading book. They define Level 1 as "simple stories, increased vocabulary and longer sentences" as opposed to "Pre-Level 1".

I was honestly quite surprised since apart from the little phonics I noted on my blog, we have not worked on phonics for a quite some time. Mainly because W boy did not ask, and I just let it be.

I'm not saying phonics was not helpful, it certainly was, but it seems to me not entirely a "natural" way to read. Will we still work on phonics? Probably, but I think phonics is not THE only way to learn. It is still the amount of time that children are exposed to reading that really help, in my opinion.

No comments: