Today, J did a summary of the Enki math story : The Four Friends (4 Process story) and did an excellent job! She also acted out the 4 characters, Paddy Plus, Minni Minus, Max Multiply, and King Dominique Divide using marbles. She really enjoyed that and wanted to do each of the characters. I'm sure that helps her to remember the four process of arithmetic well.
She has done some addition and subtraction problems through THINKMATH, the curriculum we are using in supplement to ENKI. J's school used to use Saxon math, then switched in favor of THINKMATH. I can't comment on Saxon math but I do like THINKMATH.
It's fascinating to see two excellent curriculum using very different methods to teach math. One of the things I really like about THINKMATH is that the parents don't really have to teach the child, or rather I don't have to teach J, she can read the direction and figure out how to do the problems on her own. Most of the time, I just check to see if she did them right. There is also an extra challenge problem to see if the student truly understood and does require more thoughts. THINKMATH also have worksheets for those who are really up for a challenge.
In a short period of time, J has already learned addition/subtraction through number lines, pattern, halves(including fractions), adding by 10 by seeing the "tower" and been introduced to fractions, simple word problems, input/output, money, time and etc all using quite creative methods through the worksheets.
Of course, I love Enki's approach to math as well. The use of stories to illustrate a concept and the creativity in its array of math games is something both children and adults will find fun and challenging.
So what can I say? It's hard to choose, and for now, I will take ideas from both of them. The best part is now that J is home, she actually has time to do both and enjoys learning math. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment