Today we looked up some animals on the web from the Enki story "Tiddelick the Frog". Animals like wombat, dingo, frilled lizzard, cuscus, bandicoot. I thought wombat is some sort of bat but ofcourse it is not. W boy really liked wombat and says he is a baby wombat. There are also interesting baby wombat video clips on YouTube if anyone is interested.
The coolest one we found was the hero in the story, (Noyang) the eel. We saw electric eel light up the Christmas tree and eel swallowing 3 fishes on YouTube. W boy also liked how a Japanese man held the eel using 3 fingers on YouTube. He tried to imitate the finger lock. :)
And here is something I did not know. The Enki stories are multi-cultural so "Tiddelick the Frog" is under the section "Folk Tales of Aborigine" and I was not sure what it meant. I thought it was more like native American stories. But I knew that was not right from the story and that it is related to Australia since that was the common thread in the exotic animals I mentioned above. Anyway,
as Merriam-Webster defined, it is "of or relating to the indigenous peoples of Australia" and
Wikipedia says,
"Indigenous Australians are the first human inhabitants of the Australian continent and its nearby islands and their descendants.[2] Indigenous Australians are distinguished as either Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islanders, who currently together make up about 2.6% of Australia's population."
Anyway, then I showed W boy on a globe where Australia is and where we are. So we really got a lot out of that one story. We love Enki and I am glad I chose it for our family. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment