First, they made their very own jump rope. 1st they picked their own colors, then they had to spin the yarn together. Then they did beeswax candle dipping and made their own candle. It was also nicely wrapped and they had to wait couple of weeks to burn them so we decided we are going to wait til Christmas.
After lunch and listening to the 7th and 8th grade orchestra, J/W listened to a story from the Snow Fairy Storytelling Theater. They listened and watched the story of "Star money" about a girl who had very little but gave away everything she had to people who needed her help. After she was left with nothing, the star fairy gave her a magic cloak and she had everything she needed. J/W looked like they listened intently. True to Waldorf style, the story began and ended with a bell. The room was also dark and had a womb like feeling. Before the story began, everyone was silent, including the children. Everyone waited patiently for the story to begin. It was a neat experience.
After that, J/W went back to doing crafts. First, they made snail with beeswax and shell, then they made a butterfly with wool roving and pipe cleaner. After that, they made orange pomanders which is used as a diffuser for rooms. J girl spent a long time on this one. She started to make a person with hair and everything. The last craft they made was star window hangings. The most interesting part was the rope after it was twisted, you pinch two ropes together and they stick together. Magic!
Shortly after, they were off to Tomten's Treasure Trove which was a magical shopping experience for the kids. All the kids shop by themselves in a room with handmade gifts ranging from $1-$4. There were high school volunteers in there to help them if they needed and also to help the children with gift wrapping. We gave kids free reign and told them they had a max of $X and they had to shop for the people on their list, namely their cousins. J/W really enjoyed shopping by themselves. I think they felt empowered.
Finally, W boy wanted to do hand painting so he got his wish and had a knight painted on his hand. The artist was really meticulous and did a wonderful job as you can see in the pictures. Finally I did a little shopping and got some art supplies. So a long day, but a very enjoyable one. Oh, did I mention, the kids have so much energy. Right after we came home, they went out and played in the white, white snow.
+020.jpg)
+019.jpg)
+028.jpg)
W boy spinning the wheel to make his jump rope. He chose red, yellow and blue.
+029.jpg)
+040.jpg)
+045.jpg)
J girl doing her jump rope. Here, the kids are dipping their wick stick in the beeswax.
+046.jpg)
+047.jpg)
+048.jpg)
Dipping candle takes some work. See my candle? I'm cooling it off.
+049.jpg)
+050.jpg)
+051.jpg)
J: I love rainbow silks. W: I am a knight. Here is a winter scene.
+055.jpg)
+054.jpg)
+061.jpg)
This is the story of the "Star Money" See the puppets? I'm learning how to make a snail.
+064.jpg)
+068.jpg)
+069.jpg)
See my snail on the table? I'm making a butterfly with wool roving.
+106.jpg)
+071.jpg)
+076.jpg)
Under a canopy of silk. I'm make a butterfly too. I am tying the knots.
+082.jpg)
We are making orange pomanders.First poke a hole with toothpick, then put the anise sticks in. It smells wonderful.
+091.jpg)
+096.jpg)
+099.jpg)
The final craft is the star window hanger. I'm making the hanger by twisting the rope with my friend. She is helping me. It was a little confusing for me. I thought I needed to braid.
+101.jpg)
+102.jpg)
+105.jpg)
I am learning to twist the rope, then pinch the rope together to make it stick together.
+107.jpg)
+108.jpg)
+109.jpg)
See my knight? Is it cool? And here I'm ready to play in the snow!
No comments:
Post a Comment