+030.jpg)
J was happy to take off her eye make up and be back to her natural self. (lipstick was long gone.)
For dance class this past year, she took tap/jazz and was one of the youngest student in the class. She did a great job and worked hard and enjoyed the class. But next year, she won't be taking any dance class and I am kind of sad about that. But the truth is, dance is not J's passion. So in remembering a talk I heard at the Florida HS conference: focusing on your strength (and passion), I decide to discontinue dance class for J.
This is J's passion - to be a teacher and teach.So in place of dance class, we tentatively plan on trying Classical Conversations which will be for 1/ 2 day (3 hours)/ week. I will make the final decision after attending CC's 3 day practicum for parents.
I told J it will involve quite a bit of memorization and she say she doesn't mind and really want to do it. This will also give me a chance to observe J in a classroom setting as parents are asked to stay in the room. I'm thinking this will also give J some ideas on how a "teacher" teaches in a classroom. I'm sure I will see J teaching some of the stuff to Prime. CC also have a 'presentation' component each week where students J's age will be presenting for 2-3 minutes each week. Presentation skills are very important for teachers. I remember being so scared for my public speaking class.
Prime doesn't want to go to CC and secretly I'm glad as I think he is still a little young.
For the most part, I will still use a Waldorf-ish curriculum for main lessons but is open to trying new things. I hope CC it will open new doors for us and help me find other local moms and children who use the same homeschooling material as my children.
3 comments:
fauna didn't care for dance as well, she is just too shy for it. rainy on the other hand took a year off, but wants to try again next year. she loves to dance!
fauna wants to try gynamstics and piano next year.
Lisa :)
Lisa, J likes to dance but there's only so much time and resources. I might teacher her at home as part of our circle or something.
J really likes piano and choir. I think Fauna will too. Gymnastics is fun just be careful. J sprang her ankle and occasionally it still bothers her.
Good for you for paying attention to J's passions and focusing on those. I hope she loves her new class net year. My daughter hates wearing eye make up for dance as well.
Post a Comment