In case you are wondering where we have been, we are ALL at Girl Scott camp. I'm one of the co-leaders for one of the 6 groups which consists of girls going into either 1st or 2nd grade. We have 13 girls in our unit, the RED ROSES. Prime is with the tots group as he is entering Kindergarten in the fall. They are called THE ASTRONAUTS. :)
The kids are having a really fun time. They have no problem waking up in the morning as they are very excited to go to camp. Prime might even have the most fun. I always see a crowd around him consisting mostly of younger boys the few chances I do get to see him.
J has been learning new songs, taking hikes, playing games ("what time is it Mr. Fox?" is the favorite game of all the girls) and doing crafts (designing their own leather tags with prints of their own choosing and pounding it in is a favorite). They have also been learning about "Leave No Trace" - taking care of our earth and animals/plants. She loves making new friends. Her favorite thing to do is making friendship bracelets for her friends. She is making them every chance she gets- right when she get up in the morning and right after she gets home. I don't even see them.
We are outside for 7 hours/days at camp but the weather has been beautiful and fairly mild. I'm doing little better today, as the 1st day I was super tired. Today is better but I still had a headache most of the day. This is probably an extension from the migraine headache I had all weekend.
The girls received a "Heroes in Our History" coloring booklet today. It is provided by the National Women's History Project and they are suppose to have a very good website at www.nwhp.org. I might have to look some of them up as I don't know any of the multicultural women on the list.
I hope to find my camera and take some pictures at camp tomorrow.
4 comments:
What age do you recommend starting girl scouts and how di dyou find a troop?
Madeline loves girl scout camp, she always comes home tired adn dirty. Your a great mom to volunteer, it is a long tiring week.
Hope your head feels better, migranes can be so rough Ikonw I have had ones that last for days.
Try soaking in a hot tub with some mint.
HI Jodie!
J started when she was in 1st grade since that's when I learned about it but I think that is a good age for most girls. They can also start in K but that might be a little young, depending on the girl. I have always wanted to have J involved in girl scouts though.
We continued with J's troupe which she was a part of at a charter school when we started homeschooling. Only then did I know she didn't have to go to the school to be part of the troop. I think anyone can join a girl scout troupe. I am not sure but seems like most school have girl/boy scout troop. Someone in my homeschooling group even started one as there was enough interest but that was too far for us.
Hope that helped,
dongdong
Yes, thank you! I remember the wonderful friendships I had with girls from Girl Scouts to this day!
Post a Comment