Thursday, July 2, 2009

Encouragement from God

The kids are having a sleep over at their aunt's and this morning my house is so quiet, so peaceful. I'm drinking my morning coffee and reading, "The Old Schoolhouse Magazine".

I have had a few issues arrive since we started homeschooling but this is the 1st time, I found so many wonderful and helpful articles that I feel this must be God encouraging me. Thank you, God! (To think yesterday, I wasn't sure if the kids should spend the night at their aunties.) But I'm sure glad the children did and they get to spend some time with their cousin who came back from NC for a brief visit and I got some of my own needs met today.

Below are a few writings that really encouraged me.

I was really surprised that when Todd Wilson (author of Lies Homeschooling Mom believe, help! etc and founder of Family Ministries) did an informal poll asking homeschooling mom if they think the are doing a good job homeschooling children, the % of moms who felt they did a good job so far polled in the last few years - 0%! I know I have doubts often time if I am doing a good job, if its enough. These doubts often plagues and keeps me awake at night.

Todd had this to say,

"... You're not perfect, and yes, you have have shortcomings and failures... but overall, your children are better off for having YOU as their mom, not someone else. ...God knew your children needed you. They need your shortcoming as well as your strength. God could have chosen to given your children to any mom in the world, but He chose YOU. He looked into the future and thought (my words), "Boy, those kids are going to need ________(fill in your name) as their mom. "

Another word of encouragement came from Jane Claire Lambert (she and her husband Steve operate Five in a Row) who had the following to say,

" When we become worn out and exhausted, esp. in our homeschooling, it might be because we've been operating at a non-sustainable pace..... We hurry and push and cram - forgetting all about the "gentle rhythms" of life. ... Last we should never make decision or judgment or taking actions such as changing curriculum or setting corrective measures when we are discouraged. Instead, we need to make a note of the things we are worried about. Then we can take however long is necessary to find wisdom and vanquish fear. We can wait, pray and make necessary changes or correction at the right time with peaceful smiles on our faces. "

Here is wishing you all have an encouraged and blessed day!

2 comments:

Jodie said...

the "gentle rhythms"............ I like this. We do tend to push and rush here and there because we think we have to do it all, I will just stop and pause more, thank you.

Julie said...

That was very good for me to read! =)