Saturday, July 25, 2009

scenes from the children's garden

'dragon carrots' - it's orange inside, just like a normal carrot. We saved it for our pet hamster, and he love it. It was fascinating to see him nibble.

No idea what this is, but apparently the bees were loving it. I even touched a bee very lightly. They were concentrating and working hard.


J pulling out a zucchini with a staff's help- the leaves are very prickly; J loved eating Napa leaves- she ate a whole big piece. Fluffy loved it too. He stuffed it all inside his pouch. It was really neat to watch.

Purple basil. Smells just as good as regular basil.

enjoying some beautiful flowers.


sharing our day with friends.


Close look at sunflower. Now we experienced first hand what Mortimer's First garden by Karma Wilson (the kids really like this book) shared with us in the book -the miracle of how one seeds turns into hundreds of seeds. We like to eat sunflower seeds in our house, esp. the this specific kind that is roasted and salted - coconut flavor.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such pretty flowers!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! This looks like a fun and rich learning experience!

Toni said...

I always love when you post pictures from this garden what a remarkable place to spend a day.

Sarah said...

Great pictures! Such a sweet garden.

My daughters and I started a butterfly garden this year, but because of the move it got started late so it hasn't been as glorious as I would like - my daughters, of course, are pleased as punch with it.

I think those purple balls are chives. Did you plant chives in the garden?