Friday, June 4, 2010

Summer plans

Today, we begin our summer vacation. This summer we are going to "unschool" which to me means we will have lots of child-directed days.

Like today, originally we had plans and looked forward to swim at our friend's place in the morning but then it was canceled since the pool won't open til late afternoon. Since a homeschool group is holding a field day today, I thought the kids might want to do that. But after some discussion, the kids decided they really just want to stay home and play. So that's what we decided to do. They are happily playing in their room with their doll house and whatnot.

Of course, I do have some activities planned for them. My goal this summer is to explore new places we haven't gone before, esp. the nature areas of our state like our metro/state parks.

I noticed over and over again, that my children really love to play games like Connect 4 and Blockus, Checkers, Sorry, card games, etc. So I plan to play a lot of games with them and probably get some more games. They always requests to go camping so we'll definitely camp this summer. Daddy is hoping to get fishing rods/fishing license so we can all go fishing so perhaps we'll get to do that this summer.

We ( kids and I) have each came up with a summer schedule but since they are pretty similar, I think we'll just go with the flow. The major difference in the schedule between W and J and I is J wants to do science experiments whereas W wants to play games. W is also interested in learning how to make pop-up cards and J wants to learn to identify trees in our area.

As for me, this summer I hope to make my children's Waldorf dolls (and finish them), finish W's scarf, learn to knit a hat, and eat outside more.

For the most part, we are just go to chill together and enjoy summer.

No comments: