Thursday, May 13, 2010

copy work

J read from McCuffey Reader today and for her copy work, I ask her to copy one of the passages she read today. Since it was written cursive in the book, she copied cursive (which I thought she might). But I was surprised she copied pretty well since she had no formal training on cursive writing. The only practice she had was a copybook from "Handwriting without Tears" which I told her if she wants, she can work on it at her own leisure. I guess she must have worked on it.


Below is W's copy work for today. It is from a poem written by Sarah Coleridge, adapted by Sarah Buffington called "The Year". His handwriting is coming along... sometimes he will still get a few of his letters mixed up, like z or g, for example.

In the fall, I plan to work with both kids' handwriting using a book I have been looking over called, "Soul Development through Handwriting" by Jennifer Creebin. This book is the Waldorf approach to the Vimala Alphabet which I heard through the Enki yahoo group. It is very interesting to say the least and I'm excited to introduce it to the kids and see what they thinks and to see if there are any results.

No comments: