Thursday, May 20, 2010

Caterpillars

We received our caterpillars today and the kids were super excited. So the journey begins... hopefully we'll be able to see them grow into full butterflies. These will be painted lady butterflies.

Here is some fun painted lady facts: (from the pamphlet)
- her scientific name is Vanessa cardui L
- she can lay up to 500 eggs.
- she is the most widely distributed butterfly in the world
- she may travel 1000 miles in her lifetime
- she tastes with her feet
- she has 10,000 eyes
- she breathes through her abdomen (because she has no nose)

I think we will do a butterfly study. I found information on painted lady through Enchanted Learning. But there will be nothing like watching it morph into a real butterfly.

Thanks, Auntie M for the gift!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How fun! I still need to send away for ours!! I can't wait! There is nothing like hands on learning for mom OR kids, right?! =)