Monday, September 6, 2010

Summer Project: handmade crown for J

I wanted to make J a special crown for her pretend play. So I asked her to design it - that was the easy part. She came up with a design right away.

Not what I expected but typical of J - Happy and Sunny.
The actually making of it was a much bigger challenge (for me). First, I couldn't find a piece of nice wool blend big enough and have to settle for the cheap kind. But the hardest part was the embroidery. I don't know how to use a sewing machine and have never sewed more than a loose button. So it was a real challenge, all the different kinds of stitches are enough to make my head spin. Nonetheless, toward the end, I finally sort of, kind of figured it out.

For the flower, I made the effort as you can see...

The rest I used fabric paint. Not as nice as the embroidery, but much easier. I did alter her design a little because after I embroidered the flower, I realized I should have it more center but it was too late.
Here it is on J. Of course after I put it on her head I realized it was too tall but it was a secret surprise, waiting for her by her bedside to be found in the morning.

Here is the back.
Most importantly, she likes it and finally have a felt crown of her own and of her own design. Perhaps next summer I will make one out of the really nice quality wool-blend felt.

No comments: