Thursday, September 16, 2010

Need for a schedule

I have found that I need a schedule. Without it I feel a little lost but I'm not rigid in always keeping strictly to it. I make adjustment as needed, for flexibility I believe is one of the best benefits of homeschooling. A schedule is something that grounds me and in turn grounds J/W. We all know what to expect and how the day will flow. When we do deviate from schedule like an unexpected field trip or play date, I let them know ahead of the time so they know what is going on.

Another reason I need a schedule is I need to keep a time-limit on things because sometimes, spending too much time on something is sheer frustration. Like today, our Spanish took much longer than usual and it was not good for me nor the kids. Looking back, I should have broke the lesson into 2 lessons. So lesson learned for mommy.

Next week, we will be on a break from school for 4 days. It will be time for me and the kids to catch up with friends, tidy up the house/ their room, and time to unwind/play.

Here is a look at our schedule. I find the more detailed I make my schedule, the better it helps me and the kids. That way, we all know what is next and I don't forget things I would like to do with them. In coming up with the schedule, I try to keep a sense of rhythm in our day so that we are not doing any one particular activity for too long and that everyone have food/ play breaks - important for mommy and the kiddos.


We also started saying Pledge of Allegiance recently since it is something I want the children, esp. W to know by heart since he has never been to school since Kindergarten. The kids naturally tend to be drawn to play with daddy and quite reading in the evening.

No comments: