Thursday, November 20, 2008

W wants to learn to read

Today, W boy officially requested me to teach him how to read. So I found a phonics book and started teaching him. He learned B,C,T, N,P as beginning consonants and ending consonants. We also worked on a little rhyming. Other than a little confusion about the ending sound, he finished those in under 10 minutes and got them all right. Sometimes the pictures in the book is little hard to figure out, like what looked like a school bus to us was really supposed to be van, therefore rhyming with fan and the picture of what I thought was branch/twigs was really suppose to be sticks so that rhymed with bricks. Through the exercises, W boy also learned some new words, ie nurse (W said doctor), pail (bucket), nickel (five), parachute (he didn't know). After that, he was done. So my feeling is 1) he is ready to learn to read 2) I'm going to keep it light. Anyway, I'm excited that he is ready and desires that for himself.

No comments: