Monday, November 5, 2012

16 months

This was a really great month for A. To start off, he is more or less sleeping through the night though he had couple relapses waking up at around 3 am for a couple of days. We have adopted to check on him at 15-30 minute intervals, giving him a bottle of milk but never picking him up.   Eventually, after an hour or so or crying, he falls back to sleep. It's hard to hear him cry for that long, I admit, but I do think there's good to it. For one thing,  I have noticed that by not picking him up and not letting him sleep with one of us, he's waking up later as in around 8 to 8:30am vs. 6 or 6:30am. I'm guessing it's probably because he's sleeping deeper when he's sleeping by himself verses when he's sleeping with one of us.  This is also starting to push his nap later, so instead of napping at 10, he's beginning to nap around 1pm.

He's also becoming more playful and is enjoying to play with toys more. His favorite toy are ones where he can close and open by himself like Bakugon and plastic eggs. He still likes his shape sorter a lot but gets frustrated when he cannot put the shape in the bucket.  Much to my chagrin, A is at the stage where he loves to dump things out and if  someone builds, he enjoys in knocking them over. Naturally, he loves to go wherever his sister/brother goes, but mostly, he gets upset is I don't stay to play with him, even if I'm just going to use the restroom and his brother/sister are in a different place doing work.  As a result, I have rearranged furniture so there is a room where the the older children do work, and A can play. 

Brother and sister have been teaching A lots of words and gestures, but esp. brother W. A loves to copy. His favorite words are "but", "woof", "this", "more"," baby", "ball" (both in ball and hug in Chinese when he wants to be held" etc. Oh, when he's mad, he does great tap dancing. :) A big challenge right now is getting him into his car seat.  Usually, we have to distract him with something or bribe him with a date/cookie. Sometimes, it's nearly impossible to get him in.

A has always been a fruit baby, so he continues to like strawberry, orange, and grapes. He also like Chinese buns, dumplings, and his favorite, eggs. What will I do without that food? Thankfully, he also enjoys steamed broccoli and cauliflower.  We have also switched him from milk to rice milk and coconut milk and he's doing well with that. He also drink a lot of water and don't mind it at all. He's also starting to drink water from a cup.

Ever since A was a baby, he hated blankets, hats, and socks. So I know he's not to like his mittens and it was indeed so. But after staying outside in the chilly weather with his hands exposed, he's coming around and will let his mitten stay on.  Hopefully, he'll keep his hat on and appreciate it's warmth. I'm also hoping he'll let his slipper stay on once it is winter so he won't walk barefoot everywhere in the house.

That's all for now.

No comments: