Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Keeping busy

J and W has both been sick. Today, they finally seem to be getting better, no more cough. The absence of it's sound is very sweet. I'm hoping we can run some errands as we have pretty much stayed inside for many days. We are still unschooling and the kids keep themselves plenty busy. Sometimes, when I get a little nervous, I ask them to do a little math practice or little grammar. But I think they are happier learning on their own and doing what they like to do.

W has been drawing and reading a ton. He can probably do that all day and the concentration is just amazing to watch. I think the boy is happiest when I leave him be with spurts of hugs and kisses. He also requested for some animal books and reads them as soon as he can. We also read a couple of Enki fairy tale at his request and he enthusiastically retells it to me the next day w/o me asking.

J is similar though she has been lying on the couch resting for a lot of time. If she feels not so drained, she likes to design, color or draw. I can tell when she's not well since she didn't ask to go outside and she's not putting on music to dance. When she's just resting, she'll ask me to read her a Chinese story. Other times, she watches Chinese cartoons. She has requested ballerina books, and her favorite dancer after reading many is Alicia Alonso. She also wanted more Sherlock Holmes books. Today she is making soap on a rope.

One thing they are not is bored and asking me what they should do.

I have been working hard to speak Chinese to them, though there is still a lot of English spoken. I guess this will be a work in progress for me. I was surprised they liked writing Chinese characters. I guess it's a little like drawing.

No comments: