Friday, October 23, 2009

fall colors

We had a few mild days of fall and we tried to spend as much time outdoors as we can. One game we enjoyed playing was "meet a tree". The idea came from the book "Sharing nature with Children" by Joseph Cornell where you are taken (eyes closed) to meet your tree. Then you open your eyes and tried to find your tree among the trees. The hard part was trusting the kids to guide me but we found trees are really pretty unique...there was always something that distinguished a particular tree from the rest.

Exploring the trail; my rendition of fall.


What kinds of bug is that? There were so many on the oak tree and on the ground.

At our local cider mill.

Playing with leaves. We tried to catch the leaves too but that was harder than I thought. They fell to the ground super fast. We'll have to try it on a different day maybe.

4 comments:

Marisa said...

Those are box elder bugs.

I love the Cornell book, too - I'm happy to hear about someone's real-life use!

Anonymous said...

Sooo pretty!

dawn klinge said...

These are such cute fall photos. It looks like the leaves are very beautiful where you are.

Toni said...

such pretty colors. sound slike a vrey neat book I may need to find thatone.